[MPlayer-dev-eng] Status of CoreAVC (last time) and using win32 codecs on x86_64

Alan Nisota alannisota at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:16:37 CEST 2007

Well, I continue to get a lot of mail about using CoreAVC with mplayer,
so I thought I'd post a status update.
I have failed to get any but the most trivial patches included in the
mplayer code, and all the work I did splitting the patches up into
little pieces just makes installation harder for users who will have to
manually patch anyway.
Since I have continued to develop the code and don't want to spam the
list with 12 patches each time I do an update, I have started a project
for using CoreAVC on linux here:

http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/

The project is new, and I haven't flushed everything out yet, but
included is (or will be for what is not there today) a forked copy of
mplayer's 'loader' directory supporting CoreAVC along with
patches/instructions on how to incorporate the code into mplayer,
MythTV, and Xine.

Mplayer does not seem to have the capability to deal with the fact that
CoreAVC does the deinterlacing internally, and so I have been unable to
make mplayer work with interlaced AVC streams, but MythTV and Xine can
both handle it.  I have no plans to try to fix mplayer for this.

I have also found a (crude) solution to using 32bit Windows codecs on
x86_64 systems.  I have created a 'dshowserver' app which can be built
statically and use shared-memory to pass relevant info back-and-forth to
the player (which can thus be compiled for the native platform).  I
haven't yet created the patch to use it with mplayer (though it should
be ready soon), but it works fine with MythTV.  It also isn't limited to
CoreAVC; and win32 video codec should work with it.  I did not implement
dmo or Audio codec support though it wouldn't be hard.

Anyhow, I won't take up anymore bandwidth on this topic here.  If you
have questions, either e-mail me or file an issue over at the project page.