[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] threaded decoding/filtering

Benjamin Zores ben at geexbox.org
Wed Feb 28 23:08:39 CET 2007

Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> Hello,
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:51:34PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
>> which seems to indicate such feature is not welcome.  OTOH, the paper is
>> from 2002 and things have changed.  Linux 2.6 makes threading cheaper and
>> most new desktops come with at least two cores.  I think this would make
>> such feature desirable.
>
> As a feature it always was desirable IMO, if the maintenance burden is acceptable.
> But not as an inherent, impossible to disable, part of the architecture.
> Also, since I am not aware of any developer owning dual-core or some
> such, motivation to review will be low, so you have to plan in some time
> and nagging for that part.

Well I do ;-)
But I don't have the motivation or skills to do so.
I had a quick test on a 1080p VC-1 HD-DVD and it lags (seems to require
80% cpu time for vdec and 35% for adec, so only few power is missing).
For sure the playback would be smooth if the 2 cores were used.

So btw, if some developer is looking for a such machine for either
multi-core or (S)SSE3 development, i can provide ssh access if needed.

> And definitely have a look at MPlayerXP maybe you can just cleanup up and
> port some of its changes.

Imho it's better to have the codec being multi-threaded than the player
but probably much harder to achieve.

Ben