[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] threaded decoding/filtering

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Feb 28 20:23:47 CET 2007

Hello,
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:51:34PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> which seems to indicate such feature is not welcome.  OTOH, the paper is
> from 2002 and things have changed.  Linux 2.6 makes threading cheaper and
> most new desktops come with at least two cores.  I think this would make
> such feature desirable.

As a feature it always was desirable IMO, if the maintenance burden is acceptable.
But not as an inherent, impossible to disable, part of the architecture.
Also, since I am not aware of any developer owning dual-core or some
such, motivation to review will be low, so you have to plan in some time
and nagging for that part.
And definitely have a look at MPlayerXP maybe you can just cleanup up and
port some of its changes.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger