[MPlayer-dev-eng] uoti

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 17:06:30 CET 2007

2007/2/28, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:
> Hello commrades
>
> ive had a long disscussion with diego on the phone, about the mess,
> uoti, the voting, policy, and other things

I don't like phone discussion, mainly because they don't provide you
with enough time to check the facts.

> ive agreed with him that uoti shall keep his mplayer svn account
> currently the reasons behind this are
> * svn policy is unclear about svn cp, actually it doesnt even mention
>   svn cp, its mentioned in other places yes but not directly in the
>   policy so screeming policy violation due to lack of svn cp isnt
>   entirely true, the policy definitly needs to be improved to clarify
>   such things like svn cp, so this is clear for everyone!
> * also claiming uoti should have send a patch due to policy is another
>   unclear area as he was maintainer though it can be argued that it
>   must have been clear that the change would be controversal and that
>   he thus would have had to send a patch but again this is a little
>   fuzzy and not clear

Uoti is not mplayer.c maintainer and the code he had committed does
not relate to a-v sync:

*tech/MAINTAINERS
 A-V sync code, MPlayer core: Uoti Urpala

*tech/svn-howto ,
Basics:
#8 [svn copy/move]
To split a file, use 'svn copy' and remove the unneeded lines from each file.
  Don't do a lot of cut'n'paste from one file to another without a
very good  reason and discuss it on the mplayer-dev-eng mailing list
first. It will make those changes hard to trace.

Rules:
#1 (Do not commit broken code).
#3 (Do not commit unrelated changes together, split them into
self-contained pieces).
#6 (cosmetics)
#12 (Always send a patch to the mplayer-dev-eng mailing list before
committing  if you suspect that the change is going to be
controversial.)
I'm not even arguing about #9 (code maintained by others).

I don't see anything fuzzy and unclear. Even one break of the rule is
enough reason to revert.

About the vote.
 If there is problems with the counting we can always repeat it. It
must be public as I have no idea if my vote to root@ have been counted
at all. (actually we never got to hear the exact results).

Mr Diego Biurrun from your first mail you are trying to turn the whole
issue into farce. I find this far more damaging to the project than
the (temporal) suspension of Uoti write access.