[MPlayer-dev-eng] [rfc] committing rules and other policies

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Mon Feb 26 08:05:30 CET 2007

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> this is all about weighting the advantages against the dissadvantages
> and cpp named asm syntax vs. gcc 3 named asm syntax and randomly placing
> your int i; does not seem to me like a huge improvement

mixing variables and code should be forbidden by the coding style rule
since makes things less readable.

> the disadvantage is loosing gcc 2.95 support which alot of developers dont
> seem to want to loose and possible causing problems for non gcc compilers
> also some people dream of having mplayer compiled with tinycc or another
> new compiler, moving all the source to the latest C99 and gcc 3 features
> is not going to make that easier

In the end, it isn't about gcc-2.95, it's about balancing.

Still, I'd rather have the x86 and the amd64 code completely split, with
the amd64 code written for it's compiler.

You won't build for ppc using 2.95 since is completely broken even for
scalar and for vector I advise to use a gcc-4.1.x or a late gcc-3.4.x

Not sure about the other non x86 arches...

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC