[MPlayer-dev-eng] [rfc] committing rules and other policies

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 25 12:48:53 CET 2007

Hi

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 11:37:53AM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
[...]
> My point about uoti work is plainly that since it may happen that you
> are unreachable you should try to make the changes as easier to track as
> possible and that includes doing some additional work that is pointless
> for you but are quite valuable for somebody that wish to contribute.

its not only for others but also for the author himself
its all nice when you write it, but then a month later when your new code
doesnt work but the code prior to the 200k change does you end up with
alot more work than if it where 4 readable 5k changes and 1 180k cosmetic
change which you could quickly check by binary search (which can even be done
by the person reporting the bug and depending on the type of bug it might be
specific to a OS or cpu you dont have or be otherwise not so obvious like
a checksum missmatch for a decoder so binary search might very well be your
best bet to find the bug quickly ...)
of course that only applies if you are a human and your code is not 100%
bugfree

[...]

I know you won't believe me, but the highest form of Human Excellence is
to question oneself and others. -- Socrates