[MPlayer-dev-eng] [rfc] committing rules and other policies

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Feb 25 11:37:53 CET 2007

Recent complaints about Uoti behaviour lead to a long thread, here I'm
asking some questions that were posed there:

- rules, which are the rules:
  - coding style?
	Is it useful (yes)? Which one(ffmpeg one)?
  - commit rules?
	do the history worth much (as in svn cp)?
	cosmetics vs functional changes?
	one change per commit?
	What about large changes?
  - code compatibility (gcc version?)
	do we really support gcc-2.95 (ppc does not, amd64 does not,
	sparc does?, mips does?)?

- last words:
  - in which the sections you have the last word?
	Probably who is doing most of the work there?
  - Which are the only rules I must not break in my little corner?
	Coding style(maybe somebody would like to read what I write
	before contributing?)?
	History/one change per commit/code move tracking(again if I'm
	supposed to do something I'd like to learn from the past to not
	do the same errors again)?
  - Who should I ignore?
	As in let's the flamers^Wtalkers flame^Wtalk and let the worker
	do the real thing (as in few constructive input -> ignore)?

That's all.

My point about uoti work is plainly that since it may happen that you
are unreachable you should try to make the changes as easier to track as
possible and that includes doing some additional work that is pointless
for you but are quite valuable for somebody that wish to contribute.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC