[MPlayer-dev-eng] uau - svn account removal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Feb 25 12:16:36 CET 2007

Hi

On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 09:36:13AM -0500, Compn wrote:
[...]
> why dont we talk about something constructive like how to revert
> all changes, and recommit it correctly (in a series of patches).

ok, there are many ways
FA. (probably not good as it might negatively affect checkouts)
    1. fork last good revision into its own branch
    2. recommit all safe changes
    3. kill main branch and move the new branch over it
FB.
    1. fork last good revision locally
    2. apply all later changes which dont break the tree and dont touch files
       which have "missing" changes
    3. start with a clean checkout and revert what has been found
       by svn cp method
R.
    1. revert affected files locally to pre messup rev
    2. carefully test and revert whatever else is needed
    3. start with a clean checkout and revert what has been found
       by svn cp method (this should be identical to what you get
       after FB)

at this point mplayer svn would be clean again though with some missing
changes

after the above, lost changes to mplayer.c and other files can be reapplied
if they are ok and dont depend on anything missing

and as last step the controversal change can be commited in several steps
each being just 1 selfcontained change, that is for example 1 commit to move
globals to MPContext, 1 commit to split command/property handling out with
svn cp and no cosmetic and a minumum of unrelated functional changes, then 1
which does functional changes which could be avoided im the previous step and
a big cosmetic indention and formatting fix up
that is of course just a example, there might be other things which could be
split out or maybe the splits should be done differently ...

PS: in all cases i would recommand to test the reverting with a test repository
first to prevent further messup

[...]

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope