[MPlayer-dev-eng] GUI

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Feb 21 22:47:31 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 14:25 +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> 4. The commit breaks MPlayer. Well it may not break the whole mplayer
> completely but it breaks important parts of it. What happened with the
> presumption to never break mplayer and fix it immediately if that
> happens? Is that part of the history and could everybody break
> arbitrary parts and saying he MAY fix it in few months/days.

Yes the breakage is bad and it would be better to avoid it. However the
GUI did not break because the changes were harmful/wrong; it broke
because it's unmaintained, relies on mplayer.c internals and breaks when
those change. If I clean up mplayer.c I'd rather not have that imply
that I have to be the one to fix the flaws of the current GUI too.

> 5. On IRC I wanted to make new release before doing such drastic
> change. The Uau answer was that he cannot wait a week for release and
> he must commit the code so he could continue working on it. WTF?

Not quite. I said that a release wasn't going to happen immediately (I
doubt a release would happen in a week; and "a week" was never mentioned
anyway). And I didn't say I "cannot wait a week": I said that if I wait
for a release then it's quite possible that I don't then have the time
to get the cleanups done, as there's more to do than just applying the
current patch. So far I have seen no reason to believe that it would
interfere with releases in any way.

> From what I see you got everything completely backwards.

Well, I didn't...

> The fact that your changes doesn't even touch mencoder is proof of that.

Why would they have to change mencoder at the same time?

> The very basic idea of creating MPContext is that all structure for
> playing of SINGLE file should be in one place. The playtree stuff is
> supposed to remain in the MAIN calling application.
>
> Well, it looks that this context didn't had that as target, it just
> creates structure for the slave interface... And I'd keep some of the
> globals in that case (aka the command line and playtree one).

You shouldn't treat all current details as final design decisions. The
files are certainly not meant to be in a final form yet. Maybe the
playtree stuff will move elsewhere - I haven't really thought about
that, there are still lots of other more significant things.