[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [PATCH] Make all subtitles availiable

Lehel Bernadt lehel at pmc-services.hu
Thu Feb 15 14:17:21 CET 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 13:08, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 12:36:51AM +0100, Amiaux Benoit wrote:
> > Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > >[...]
> > >I shall produce a sample for Reimar, but I haven't had time so far.
> > >[...]
> >
> > Hi, sorry for previous mail which was replied to wrong thread. I send it
> > again so it's not forgotten into the depths of mplayer-dev-eng
> >
> > A relatively small sample (32MB) has been uploaded at
> > ftp://upload.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/incoming/missing_subs.iso
> >
> > While using the following command-line, MPlayer dev-SVN-r22178-4.1.2
> > doesn't properly display english subtitles:
> > mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device missing_subs.iso
> >
> > (English subtitles are in the second subtitles track, and some of them
> > will be displayed at the very end of the sample)
> >
> > Patch in $subj does fix it.
> As you can see, I set a patch that at least allows -sid to work in any
> case.
> I think the original patch was mostly right, except that
> dvd_number_of_subs should return the maximum over all .id values.
> This has the disadvantage of possibly leaving "holes" in the subtitle
> ids, so that subtitle switching might behave a bit weird, but I don't
> think that's critical.

I've tried that approach, and "might behave a bit weird" = "gets broken" in 
this case. I hadn't investigated why, I guess it would need to be checked in 
the sub switching code whether a sub id corresponds to a real sub or is 
a "hole".

The other problem with your idea is, that returning with the number of the 
physical subpic streams (i.e. all of them) instead of the number of the 
logical subs (as listed in the DVD title) breaks the sub identification, 
since that info is read from the DVD title, and not from the MPEG2 stream.
That's why I think that my patch is OK as it is.


More information about the MPlayer-dev-eng mailing list