[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] kde screensaver stuff using system()

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 7 00:40:54 CET 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 11:07:28PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 10:13:55PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > L'octidi 18 pluviôse, an CCXV, Reimar Döffinger a écrit :
> > >	    Why should we have to fix the problems their programs are
> > > making?
> >
> > Because there is nothing you can do to ensure that a correct protocol will
> > find its way into the Freedesktop standards in finite time.
>
> That still is a backwards approach. Why must other applications control
> the screensaver? That's like making applications handle window movements
> and sending window movement requests to the window manager. Why don't
> the screensaver guys just implement at least the most very, very basic
> configuration options?

Indeed, ALL screen savers should implement a "list of clients which,
if connected, will inhibit screen saver totally" feature. However,
MPlayer probably would like a slightly more fine-grained control. For
instance it may be desirable to allow the screen saver to activate
while the movie is paused.

Rich