[MPlayer-dev-eng] Trailing whitespace removal and precommit hooks

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Feb 1 13:24:30 CET 2007

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hello,
> is anyone against installing a precommit hook that will disallow
> adding trailing whitespace? As a preparation to that it would also be
> necessary to remove all that are currently there in a cosmetics
> patch... I am in favour of it, and also of doing it in a way that
> will disallow whitespace-only lines (IIRC someone preferred to keep
> them, if that is so, how important is that?).

That was me. No one else agreed with me. I'm still very strongly of the
opinion that such lines have leading whitespace, not trailing
whitespace, and that not only is its its presence appropriate but its
absence would be inappropriate - but my voice doesn't carry much weight
around here as far as the code goes (nor should it, given my
contributions to date), so I don't expect the change to be aborted on
that account.

For the little it's worth, I would support such a hook as described,
except for the leading-whitespace objections already recorded.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.