[MPlayer-dev-eng] Use stdin to decode mp4 streams

Johann Horvat horvat.johann at gmx.net
Wed Aug 22 00:25:14 CEST 2007

Dear mplayer people,

I'm so0rry, but my question is more concerning ffmpeg than "real" mplayer
development, but I'm searching for a solution for a long time, without any
success, so I thought, you might be able to help me ;-)

What I'm going to try is:
Decoding a mp4 stream from a web cam to a buffer (frame by frame) onto a SDI
card frame buffer in my server, so I can see the output on the SDI side (before
that, there is some alpha-blending and mixing done on the card).

So I need something to decode a mp5 stream, which comes over the network, and
put it into a local buffer, before memcopy it to the frame buffer...

What I have working is something like the attached sample, which works perfect
for me, except the fact that it is decoding a file, not a stream ;-(

My sample ist taken from
http://www.cryptosystem.org/archives/2006/03/libavcodec-libavformat-sample-code/

What I know (and actually use) is that you might use mplayer like this:
# mplayer http://www.n-tv.de/video-podcast/news_morgen_20070819073504.mp4
How do you do that fetching a mp4 stream from /dev/stdin to your application,
and how is buffering done? I searched your source, but was completely
overstrained with the complexity of the code base! WOW!

May someone help me out of this?

Thank you and
Best Reagards,
Johann