[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: spring cleanup

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Apr 1 14:12:14 CEST 2007

Hello,
On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 12:55:05PM +0200, Alban Bedel wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 12:21:31 +0200
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>
> > For all I know TrueType fonts are superior in all respects.
>
> Rendering is definitly a lot slower with TrueType, althouth that doesn't make
> much difference unless one is using a borderline system.

That probably could be worked around if needed. But I don't think
removing support for it is planned, there just isn't going to be much
effort to keep it working (well).
Basically bitmap fonts for non-ascii have been broken for more than one
year, all needed to fix it would be running a script (posted on -users
and somewhere in bugzilla) over the font files (adding unicode
mappings), but nobody has done it.
Conclusion: nobody really cares about it to lift a finger, thus I won't
do much more.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger