[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary for the Mac OS X?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Sep 26 11:43:49 CEST 2006

Hi

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 08:29:16PM -0400, Chris Zubrzycki wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2006, at 8:22 PM, Rich Felker wrote:

> >>It's not.
> >
> >Asking "How do I...?" is almost always a user question. This is our
> >definition of user questions. If you don't like that, too bad. This is
> >the way it's always been.
> >
> >>For example building for intel macs using powerpc systems
> >>(currently non working) falls under the category of improving the
> >>mplayer build system to provide a more consistent cross-compiling
> >>environment.
> >
> >In a very twisted, disgusting sense of "improving"...
> >
> >>I don't really see how adding a few lines to a 8445 lines script (to
> >>support a relatively widespread operating system) can be called
> >>bloat, expecially considering that in the source code you can even
> >>find workarounds for the far more marginal AmigaOS4 and MorphOS.
> >
> >It's not a few lines. You'd have to make the whole build process build
> >two object files for each target, which means supporting out-of-tree
> >build, two separate sets of build config, etc. This kind of special
> >casing for a disgusting idiot-centric binary backwards compatibility
> >layer of an idiot-centric proprietary OS does NOT belong in a build
> >system.
>
> Ok, that is a bit harsh. Multi-arch files are very cool, and not as
> bloated as you might think. 32/64bit ppc/intel binaries are very
> convenient, especially when you have them all running the same OS.
> Most people don't even realize or care the processor that's in their
> machine, as long as the apps they have installed work. With the

these people fall in 2 categories
1. ones which use a OS which is used by less then 0.1% of the world
2. ones which run out of harddiskspace due to the number of viruses and
   other malware they (mistakly) installed

you shouldnt use something without knowing at least a tiny bit about it
otherwise bad things happen, and the cpu and OS of your system is
something you should know, its not something which takes more then 1min
to memorize or write down so its not unreasonable or anything

furthermore i dont remember a single bugreport from a osx user who tried
running the wrong binary, it rather looks like a bunch or apple lemmings
on a crussade

AFAIK universal-binary is supported by building twice and using an external
tool
so what do you guys want?

[...]