[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Make -nortc the default?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Sep 9 05:06:23 CEST 2006

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 04:33:22 +0300
Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> I don't believe the numbers in that mail.

Believe those numbers or not, the result is very real.

top shows a huge difference, it's just not as easy to include that
output in an e-mail.

MPlayer shows the difference when other CPU-intesive apps are running,
via jerky playback and dropping frames with -rtc, but not with -nortc.

Mencoder shows the difference, as encoding slows down significantly when
playing back with -rtc, but it doesn't practically at all with -rtc.

Also, I've since upgraded to Slackware 10.2, and see the same behavior
(still a 2.4.x kernel).  -rtc is a serious slowdown.