[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Make -nortc the default?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Sep 9 03:33:22 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 18:03 -0700, RC wrote:
> > MPlayer becoming that much faster when running alone sounds
> > surprising. Can anyone else confirm this?
>
> Yes.  I started a thread on the subject on mplayer-users in January:
> "rtc wasting 15% CPU"
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/41234/

I don't believe the numbers in that mail. The 'time' output you say
shows "the real difference" claims that you decoded 30 seconds (?) of
720x480 video in 0.19 seconds of user time. I'll rather believe the
MPlayer benchmark output which says the video codec used over 3 seconds.
Later in the thread you say you were using a 2.4 kernel; probably this
is some kind of inaccuracy/bug in the 2.4 CPU usage accounting.