MPlayer hicups (was: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Question about A/V synchronization)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Sep 2 08:07:26 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006 08:01:04 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> When i start MPlayer, the whole system freezes for about
> 10 to 20 seconds. But it only happens in about one of
> 50 to 100 cases. I asked a few guys who know the kernel
> better than i do, but they did not have an answer on
> what it could be. Because the system locks up everything,
> i do not even get data from the standard statistics
> tools (vmstat&co).

Maybe i should add a better description on what i see.
MPlayer starts, opens a x11 window for xv, seems to put
some data into the soundcard (i get <1s of sound) then
the system blocks. On the command line i have a preliminary
status line with lots of question marks in it. 10 to 20s later
the movie plays fine, first starting with some A-V desync,
but smaller than the 10-20s.

I could not see any relation to specific file types.
I did not try different vo modules as xv is the only
playable on my laptop. Soundcard is a i8x0 (ICH4-x)
used via the OSS emulation of alsa. Kernel is currently
a 2.6.17 but it happend also with older kernels in
the 2.6. series.

				Attila Kinali
--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ