MPlayer hicups (was: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Question about A/V synchronization)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Sep 2 08:01:04 CEST 2006

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:17:17 -0700
Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> Do you see a momentary freeze of the video as well? That happens to me
> sometimes when I have a moderate amount of disk I/O; using -cache
> <something> fixes it.

Could be, though i never noticed anything.

> Try running dstat all the time so that you can look back right after a
> "hiccup" and see if there's any activity that got logged.

Thanks, i'll try that and see what comes out of it.

While we are at player hicups. I have another, very strange
effect. Strange, because the only computer it shows up is my
laptop. Even more strange because it's hardly reproducable.

When i start MPlayer, the whole system freezes for about
10 to 20 seconds. But it only happens in about one of
50 to 100 cases. I asked a few guys who know the kernel
better than i do, but they did not have an answer on
what it could be. Because the system locks up everything,
i do not even get data from the standard statistics
tools (vmstat&co).
Anyone an idea what that could be or how i could narrow
it down?

			Attila Kinali

--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ