[MPlayer-dev-eng] ASF file's pixel aspect ratio

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Oct 29 10:54:00 CET 2006

Hi

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 01:11:28PM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to introduce pixel aspect ratio support to ASF demuxer. I've
> written a simple working prototype but to go further I have some
> questions to ask:
>
> 1. ASF supports two types of aspect info: one is a per stream metadata
> called AspectRatioX|Y, the other is a per packet payload extension.
> The first is easier to implement: I simply set the proper
> (stream_video_t*)sh->aspect value in asfheader.c and it's done. The
> second is not so straight forward: does mplayer support non-constant
> aspect ratio for a video stream? I saw in the ChangeLog of pre8 that
> mpeg12 variant aspect ratio is supported. How and where should I
> implement it for ASF? (And I also wonder how would it look like,
> hehe.)

dunno, you might have to reinit the vf/vo somehow if you want the new
aspect to take effect, see vd_ffmpeg.c / vd_libmpeg2.c ...
but IMHO changing the aspect or width/height within a stream is simply
broken, and most standards also forbid it

btw i think ffmpegs asf demuxer also lacks aspect support, a patch
would be welcome

[...]
> 3. Files dealing with ASF have very strange indentation, am I free to
> add something like /* vim se noet, se sw=2 */ to the end of a file?

iam not maintainer of asf* in mplayer ...

> 4. Those files also lack proper copyright headers...so am I free to
> modify them anyway?:-)

all files in mplayer are suppoesed to be GPL compatible so yes

[...]