[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer compliling bug on Mac OS X using libdvdnav

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Oct 22 10:42:10 CEST 2006

sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:

> On 2006-10-20 05:56:25 -0500, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at email.it> said:
>
>> sci-fi at hush.ai wrote:
>>

>>> I got a similar nm listing after getting libdvdnav2 cvs built &
>>> installed (I always do both --enable-shared --enable-static for
>>> every lib when possible).
>>

>>> I built mplayer with --disable-dvdread --disable-mpdvdkit but let it
>>> autodetect dvdnav:
>>> [...]
>>> Checking for VCD support ... yes Checking for DVD support
>>> (libdvdnav) ... yes Checking for DVD support (libmpdvdkit2) ... no
>>> Checking for DVD support (libdvdread) ... no Checking for cdparanoia
>>> ... no Checking for libcdio ... no
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I know DVDNAV_LIB was properly set and included into the Makefile.
>>> But I've been discovering a bunch of libs aren't found if I don't
>>> also put them into --extra-libs.  I have a hunch that any -L/-l that
>>> follow -framework for Darwin/OSX builds are ignored for some
>>> reason.  So I had to add -L/usr/local/lib -ldvdnav to --extra-libs
>>> to resolve UDFFindFile.
>>

>> dvdnav-config --libs should output those flags. doesn't it?
>

> ~sigh~ please reread my message there: "DVDNAV_LIB *was* properly set
> and included into the Makefile" etc....

ok

>>> $ mplayer -noquiet -v dvdnav://
>>

>> try at least dvdnav://1
>

> What's the point of using "navigation" of any form if one must specify
> _everything_ in precise terms via cmdline?  ;)

the titleset number you want to play is hardly _everything_

>>> libdvdnav: vm: failed to open/read the DVD
>>> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/rdiskN
>>> [file] No filename
>>> Failed to open dvdnav://.
>>> This /dev/rdiskN is the familiar problem with dvdnav and other such
>>> libs on Darwin/OSX.  If we su root and make a symlink rdiskN->rdisk5
>>> under /dev (the currently known system-chosen slot of the physically
>>> mounted DVD), mplayer _can_ play the title page, but still cannot
>>> navigate.
>>

>> and what about specifying the correct -dvd-device ?
>

> likewise... how is a non-technical user suppose to determine this?

mplayer was never intended as a replacement for wimp or i-something.
Users have to learn something to exploit mplayer's functionalities

>>> The title menu says to hit 'enter' to play the movie, but mplayer
>>> simply exits after a few seconds after doing that
>>

>> enter in mplayer quits the file being played
>

> contrary to what the instructions on the movie screen says ... user
> friendly????

instructions say (or should say) to use KP_ENTER, that is the enter key
in the numeric keypad

> almost all DVD players do have an 'enter' button ... except mplayer's
> does not act as is expected, apparently...
>
>>> -or- by trying to mouse-click on that part of the screen (End of File).
>>

>> add -mouse-movements, but it works only with derivatives of x11
>

> workaround at best for OSX users
>
> (for absolute pure Darwin, there is no Mac GUI, so X11 _is_ a
> windowing / GUI system freely available)
>
> actually when not using any kind of URL, e.g. when playing a simple
> avi or mpg, clicking the mouse _does_ send back some slave keys, so
> there is some basic level of mouse support for OSX users inside
> mplayer there somewhere  ;)

clicking yes, simply moving  it no

>>> Apple's DVD Player works fine as expected in this regard, and so
>>> does a recent nightly build of VLC for OSX, on the same DVD.
>>

>> does not compare
>

> yes these _are_ valid comparisons: 'enter' key works as expected in
> DVD movies with these players.

retry with the right 'enter'

>>> I still believe that the mpdvdkit seems to be the best for OSX with
>>> the current state of mplayer itself.  ISTR someone patched to fix
>>> the /dev/rdiskN glitch, but it wasn't very pretty (hackery to guess
>>> which numerical slot OSX has decided to use, it could still pick the
>>> wrong device [I actually have two Pioneer drives installed here ;)
>>> ], and that's why I briefly mentioned why Apple doesn't want to make
>>> it easy to rip DVDs).
>>

>> drop macosx and be happy
>

> this means to drop PPC entirely, since many other *ix implementations
> are not ready for prime time in various regards (Ubuntu is probably
> closest as I've studied them), but this is getting o.t. for this
> thread...
>
> instead I ask why do you seem not to want input / feedback on what
> makes things different between platforms, so that we can make OSX
> users happy and a pleasure to use mplayer?
>
> already there are _so_ many #ifdefs everywhere for particular platform
> differences, that we only need to figure out how to for ex. add proper
> OSX -mouse-movement support and things like that...

I don't want to exclude support for osx, but I will never write a single
line of code to support it;
as usual:

> and yes I know the "mantra" used here: if I want it, submit the
> patches...  ;)

true

> my intention in my previous reply above was to report how much rc1
> will _not_ be ready for OSXers, but it's no show-stopper IMO as I
> said... if OSX users want an open / free multimedia app, they can use
> VLC which seems to be working fine in most regards I've been reporting
> here... I do try...

true. It's one of the reasons why I've always been extremely contrary to
any other release than a daily snapshot