[MPlayer-dev-eng] problem with playback via a pipe/dvb

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Oct 27 07:18:15 CEST 2006

ICertain files, and dvb stations, won't play back correctly via a pipe.
There will be video glitches, a52 CRC errors, demuxer errors, and so on.
What you would expect if the files were somehow corrupted.

I see this problem with:

cat file.ts | mplayer -
mkfifo pipe ; cat file.ts > pipe & mplayer pipe
mplayer dvb://channel

Using -cache 100000 -cache-min 5 doesn't appear to have any effect.

It's not just TS streams that have this problem, and not all TS streams are
effected.  For example, some dvb channels will play correctly with a dvb://
url and some won't.  If I capture to a file, they all work correctly.  If I
pipe those same files, it doesn't work for the problem stations.

I have the same problem with quicktime files too, for example the 1080p
Serenity trailer from apple.

It appears to be demuxer related, as I haven't been able to reproduce the
problem with transport streams if I use -demuxer lavf.

I've uploaded a problem and a non-problem TS file to mplayerhq, as well as
a text file with mplayer -v output (about 80k, so I'll not post it here).