[MPlayer-dev-eng] Playing video from socket

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Thu Nov 23 12:33:29 CET 2006

jacob wrote:

> Sorry, I'm beginning now, and also I have problems with English.
>
> I have a video server that sends mpeg2-ts over UDP to a specific
> ip/port. I want that mplayer reproduces the content of the UDP
> packets. I'm able to make this redirecting the incoming traffic (via
> netcat) to the standard in, then with the '-' flag of mplayer I'm able
> to see the video.

not needed; mplayer udp://ip:port works.
if you don't see anything verify that there's actual content:

mplayer udp://ip:port -dumpstream -dumpfile stream.ts
(wait some seconds then press ^C). Does stream.ts contain something?
if so, run mplayer -v stream.ts and verify thelog

> My question is if mplayer have some way to reproduce the incoming
> traffic knowing the udp port. There are no inicialization to make play
> or other stuff, the server is playing every time.
>
> I have a server

mplayer should work, but be aware that for network streams in the long
run mplayer is not the most reliable player (after a while you'll surely
have problems, mitigated but not completely solved adding -demuxer lavf
-lavfdopts probesize=128)