[MPlayer-dev-eng] The path to RC2

Benjamin Zores ben at geexbox.org
Fri Nov 3 11:12:40 CET 2006

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:53:14 +0100
Roberto Togni <r_togni at tiscali.it> wrote:

> Imo the main "problem" is not 1.0 itself, but what is coming after
> it. Are we going to maintain it? How? How long? Who's going to do it? As
> soon as trunk starts diverging from 1.0, backporting fixes will get
> time consuming.
>
> And we also should keep some big feature for post-1.0, to make users
> (and hopefully distributions too) go back to svn version.

Personnaly, below are a features that i think are missing (don't want them for 1.0 though):

- TimeShifting

- record on the fly what you're currently watching (only doable for MPEG based streams i guess)

- streaming capabilities (the way VLC does)

- on the fly transcoding (again the way vlc does).

- A MUST HAVE: having a libmplayer to allow being controlled and tuned more easily and from a more generic way than slave mode currently allows.
For VLC (again) wasn't meant to be used as a lib neither but they implemented a library on top of their slave mode for external apps to control it easily.
Currently with MPlayer, everyone wanting to use slave mode has to re-invent the wheel.
Of course, having a _REAL_ library (i.e. no slave mode) would be the best, making mplayer/gmplayer/mencoder code unified and they'll only be frontends to this lib then.

- implement all libmpdemux specific things to libavformat to completely
bypass the use of the first one.

Ben

--
"My life, and by extension everyone else's is meaningless."
Bender, Futurama