[MPlayer-dev-eng] About Mplayer licensing

Jason Tackaberry tack at urandom.ca
Tue May 30 19:09:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 13:50 +0800, khngan at ie.cuhk.edu.hk wrote:
> I have written/integrated two extra output modules for encoding raw frames into
> H263 and AMR data streams. How should I do to conform to the GPL license?

If you are distributing a copy of MPlayer that includes these changes,
then you must make the source code available to anyone who asks.
(Preferably just make your patches available for download on the site
where you're distributing MPlayer.)

> Is there any repository to which I have to submit my source code or I

If your modifications are something that may be useful to others, you
can submit them on this list for review.  It would be better for
everyone if your patches got merged, but it isn't necessary to satisfy
the GPL.

>  just need to include them in the distribution? Is these work (after
> publicized) permitted to use in proprietry package as standalone
> executable? Thanks again.

You can distribute MPlayer as part of a closed system (a set-top box,
for example) but you are obligated to make available the source code of
all modifications to your distributed version that were done against the
stock MPlayer (as found on mplayerhq.hu).

Cheers,
Jason.