[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Thu May 11 22:51:02 CEST 2006

* Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> schrieb:

<snip>

> > Can you explain the fundamental difference to me? I only know two
> > major differences:
> > - unknown options are errors
> > - enable means force (which usually doesn't even work)
> >
> > I don't see these as fundamental and I don't see how they cause
> > significant problems.
>
> That enable means force is quite significant.  This way compilation may
> fail, even if configure ran successfully.  Also, we do not bail out when
> some prerequisites for compilation are not met.
>
> People attribute this to a bug in MPlayer even though it may have been
> a user error.

I personally consider this as a bug, at least an buglet.
Some time ago, I already addressed this issue, but changes were not wanted.

<snip>

> > > burnt.  There is no good way to tell at a glance (without reading the
> > > source) that it's a different thing.
> >
> > Reading the README?
>
> Currently nothing in configure makes it clear that we do not use
> autoconf.

Why should it ?
An missing configure.ac / configure.in should be an good indicator ;-)

I personally *always* recreate the configure scripts, and I do it with
fixed autotools, because otherwise clean builds (ie. sysroot'ed cross)
are impossible. At least at this point, non-autoconf packages show up
themselves, since autoreconf fails here ...

cu
--
"*Who am I*? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sophie
  Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going