[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu May 11 00:09:52 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 06:04:15PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 11:32:08PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > >
> > > Has it ever occurred to you that if nobody speaks up to support you,
> > > you might actually be wrong?
> >
> > Bullcrap.  So far:
> >
> > positive:  Diego, Ivo, Luca
> > negative:  Ivan, Dominik, Wanderer
> > neutral:   Attila
> > undecided: Roberto
>
> I'll add myself as against it. Making output 'different for the sake
> of being different' is at worst confusing to users and at best a waste
> of time. An autoconf replacement is probably the most useful if it
> looks mostly/entirely the same to users (who are already used to
> autoconf) but works much better inside.

No, that cannot work because the semantics are _fundamentally_
different.  The problem is that right now, since our output mimics
autoconf people expect the semantics to be the same and then they get
burnt.  There is no good way to tell at a glance (without reading the
source) that it's a different thing.

> And I agree with Ivan that there are a lot more important things (like
> cvs->svn) to finish!

This has nothing to do with cvs->svn.  I made this in a few spare mins I
had at some point weeks ago and just now sent it here.  cvs->svn is a
process for which I need to find a long stretch of uninterrupted time.
Unfortunately this is hard to come by at the moment.

Diego