[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu May 11 00:04:15 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 11:32:08PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 12:10:46AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> > 2006/5/10, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> > >Judging from comments so far few people seem to have considered the
> > >arguments I brought forth, which indicates that I did not present them
> > >well enough.  I'll retry in another thread.
> >
> > Has it ever occurred to you that if nobody speaks up to support you,
> > you might actually be wrong?
>
> Bullcrap.  So far:
>
> positive:  Diego, Ivo, Luca
> negative:  Ivan, Dominik, Wanderer
> neutral:   Attila
> undecided: Roberto

I'll add myself as against it. Making output 'different for the sake
of being different' is at worst confusing to users and at best a waste
of time. An autoconf replacement is probably the most useful if it
looks mostly/entirely the same to users (who are already used to
autoconf) but works much better inside.

Of course if you have ideas for redoing configure's interface to make
it more logical and easier to use, I would be willing to consider
that. But I'm not interested in just obfuscating it just to make it
look different from autoconf.

And I agree with Ivan that there are a lot more important things (like
cvs->svn) to finish!

Rich