[MPlayer-dev-eng] split configure [RFC]

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Wed May 10 11:16:50 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 09 May 2006 11:08, Attila Kinali wrote:
> There are a few:
> * no change in semantics (cd subdir; make works as expected).
> * Easier to maintain (not one big Makefile).
> * subdirectories can be easily split off to be used in other
>   projects.
>
> For me the most important one is the second one as it'll
> become very cumbersome to make changes after a while
> if you have one big file.

Yes. I am not sure though if that applies to my framework, because the
Makefile is generated. But we can decide on that later. The Makefile
generation is optional. We can also choose to only use the configuration
part and handcraft the Makefile(s) your way.

> But can you send your makefile anyways? I'd like to have
> a look at it.

See below...

> > In the end, is has to be a portable and modular autoconf/make
> > replacement written in plain shell script without the bloat, learning
> > curve, version incompatibilities, m4 and everything else that sucks
> > about autotools ;-)
>
> This sounds interesting.

I'll see if I can wrap something together in the next few days so you can
have a look at how the framework has progressed so far. Running that
configure script will output the Makefile so you can have a look at that
too :)

--Ivo