[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] de-autoconf configure

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Tue May 9 22:01:04 CEST 2006

2006/5/9, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 11:11:10AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 9 May 2006 09:43:24 +0200
> > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> >
> > > people always think we have an autoconfigure script.  Who's to blame
> > > them, the output looks just too similar.  Since FFmpeg has never
> > > suffered from this problem I thought we might as well give in and fix
> > > what I would call a usability problem.  I made a preliminary patch.
> >
> > You forgot the bikeshed warning :)
>
> lol, yes :)
>
> > I actualy don't know whether i like this or not.
> > But i don't have any technical/logical arguments.
>
> I hope to stop people from thinking that our configure was made with
> autoconf and has the same semantics.  As we all know this has been a
> recurring problem over the years.  None of the current users should be
> harmed by the change, while things should be clearer for newcomers.

DonDiego, would you please stop making stupid useless changes here and
there and finish the so long waited cvs->svn transition.

The problem with semantics is not that it looks like autoconf one.
This is not problem at all and it have never been. The real problem is
that semantics is illogical and inconsistent (by design). And yes I
will fix that after the release. Yes, I have very old patch and
approval. Thank you for reminding me.

As for the patch. I took the effort to test it. In short it looks like
shit. You removed the only constant text and now text splits all over
the screen in some chaotic manner. If you take the some time to see
that ffmpeg output looks better because it is a little bit more
tabulated.

I don't mind changing the look of configure, but it MUST look better.
This one doesn't.