[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Mar 23 19:56:04 CET 2006

On Thursday 23 March 2006 18:56, Rich Felker wrote:

> IMO it's not ao_alsa that's buggy, but rather ALSA itself.

Though I've probably been more frustrated by Alsa, since I've actually
tried use it in the past, I'm less pessimistic about this. Have you ever
had a look at the Alsa API? I haven't yet met anyone who after reading
the docs and api could tell me how to actually use Alsa :) So, I'm holding
out hope for that it's ao_alsa that was buggy and not Alsa itself...

I've switched over to using ao_alsa as default now with alsa-lib 1.0.9
and ao_alsa CVS.

The only problems I've noticed is the buffer-underrun behavious, which
causes some cute artefacts. I know Clemens suggested increasing the
amount of audio buffered by MPlayer, but it seems a bit odd to me that
I get virtually no audible underruns with ao_oss..

> Things like
> dmix especially. Unless you have a way to prevent it from fucking up
> MPlayer

It seems to have improved in the sense that it only fucks up itself and
not MPlayer anymore :) I sometimes get a crash on exit. It might be
one of the Alsa processes that segfault, because it doesn't seem to
get caught by MPlayer's sighandler... I'll blame the crashes on using
alsa-lib 1.0.9 with alsa 1.0.6 in kernel... I should probably upgrade
the kernel when I get the chance :)