[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 23 13:44:20 CET 2006

Hi

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:10:11AM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:56:05AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:37:22AM +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > >
> > > Some users want to hear "You have new spam^Wmail" notifications when
> > > playing other sounds.
> >
> > Stupid windows-ism. There's a PC-speaker bell for things like that.
>
> Stupid "My world is as small as my head"-ism.  Not every computer has a
> PC-speaker.  Plus, speakers are not useful, they only produce one type
> of sound (OK, they play a bit more, but hey..).  Playing alerts is useful.

actually i remember some old dos game which managed to generate understandable
(english IIRC) voice through a pc speaker (yeah it was badly distorted IIRC)

> Many people have music playing in the background constantly.  One should
> not interfere with the other.

yes, iam definitly on the windows-ism side here too, multiple audio streams
are usefull, also thikk about headphones, a speaker making a loud beep really
defeats one of their proposes

[...]

--
Michael