[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: h264+aac in lavf mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Mon Mar 20 13:09:26 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 13:21 -0800, RC wrote:
> > I need the dering and hqdn3d filters to smoothen out
> > broadcast-quality/bitrate material.
>
> It's much more hassle, but you could always use mencoder for filtering
> (encoding to some lossless format), then re-encode the output with
> ffmpeg.

Actually that's almost what I am doing. I transcode the video and audio
streams separately using mencoder, then I use gpac/MP4Box to mux them
into proper mp4. It does that just a tiny bit more standard then ffmpeg
does. Apparently someone there has access to the real specs, lucky
bastards (or some of them has spent some money ;-))

Anyway, I'd rather have it in mencoder, in one step because:

 - users will want this (and I am willing to try to make it work);
 - it would be logical to have it;
 - if you split audio/video, timestamps will be lost and a/v sync may be
lost (except when you take great care that audio and video streams
already are in sync without the timestamps).