[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: h264+aac in lavf mp4

Erik Slagter erik at slagter.name
Sun Mar 19 19:08:10 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-19 at 16:27 +0100, Baptiste COUDURIER wrote:
> > Some additional info: when I try this, the resulting file plays only
> > audio in mplayer, video says: "Error while decoding frame". I must admit
> > this an improvement since Michael's audio chunk patch, because the audio
> > now works.
>
> I bet fourcc is H264, changing fourcc to avc1 will make it work.

Hmmm, fourcc's in mp4? Oh, right, I guess mplayer uses the same value
for the internal "fourcc" as it puts in the moov(?) atom. So that means
-favc1 would solve this problem. I'll try this.

> lavf muxer was fixed recently to reformat nals when muxing into mp4, it
> should be working fine. It should also generate correct avcc atom, and
> ctts to handle B frames. I don't know any issue about it yet.

Yep, but there seems to be another issue with
mplayer-using-lavf-with-b-frames in general, according to Rich. I did
have a very quick look (still hardly have a clue about mplayer/mencoder
internals...) and it seems that no pts/dts values are passed to the
muxer and lavf makes up it's own, which works as long there are no b
frames. I guess somewhere in the frame that mencoder passes is a value
for it's pts and/or dts values, in that case I guess it wouldn't be too
hard to fix it and maybe even I can do it ;-) I guess it would be nice
to have this fixed.