[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 35

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Tue Mar 14 23:15:46 CET 2006

On Tuesday, 14 March 2006 at 09:03, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>
> > Subject: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39,
> > 	Issue 30
> > > When anyone who comes to offer code
> >
> > No code was offered. Just a binary dll, i.e. a proprietary, closed solution.
> > It is true what Rich said, we don't like to support such solutions. But if it's
> > requested often enough, it might just encourage someone to add support.
>
> There are other people who have offered code, and gotten far less than a
> warm welcome for it.

Please be specific, as Diego has requested.

> > > or how many siginificant digits you used to approximate the decimal value of
> > > 30000/1001 into an email message with
> >
> > The answer is: none, always use a fraction.
>
> Oh really?  From an message in mplayer-users on 2004-09-02:
>
> 	combination of filters I use (granted, I probably haven't tried all of
> 	them), I can't get good results.  Original material is 720x480, aspect
> 	4:3, 29.97 fps.  Here's what I get:
>
> Look familiar?  It should, because it was written by one Dominik 'Rathann'
> Mierzejewski.  Why is it Rich didn't flame you for this offense when he
> replied?  He flamed me for using 29.976 in the same context, I even used one
> more significant digit.  So quick to attack at the slightest opportunity, but
> maybe you're not so perfect yourself.

Allright, I'm sorry. I somehow thought you meant this in code, not in an
email. Still, that message was written over 1.5 years ago. Why does it
matter now? I personally think using such shortcuts is allowed when you've
shown your competence and when it's obvious that you mean the correct number.

> > No. By not doing your homework you show disrespect for our time and effort
> > we put into MPlayer. Had you sent your submission according to the rules,
> > we wouldn't have wasted our time pointing out the obvious problems.
>
> What rules did I break and where were they written?

I have already answered that question. Wasn't I clear enough last time?
Do I have to repeat myself?

On a technical note, I'm slightly annoyed by your replies, because they
come out-of-thread and it's tiresome to have a discussion this way. Please
make sure your replies include the correct references and in-reply-to
headers.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression