[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 35

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Mar 14 09:03:57 CET 2006

> From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>
> Subject: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39,
> 	Issue 30
> > When anyone who comes to offer code
>
> No code was offered. Just a binary dll, i.e. a proprietary, closed solution.
> It is true what Rich said, we don't like to support such solutions. But if it's
> requested often enough, it might just encourage someone to add support.

There are other people who have offered code, and gotten far less than a
warm welcome for it.

> > or how many siginificant digits you used to approximate the decimal value of
> > 30000/1001 into an email message with
>
> The answer is: none, always use a fraction.

Oh really?  From an message in mplayer-users on 2004-09-02:

	combination of filters I use (granted, I probably haven't tried all of
	them), I can't get good results.  Original material is 720x480, aspect
	4:3, 29.97 fps.  Here's what I get:

Look familiar?  It should, because it was written by one Dominik 'Rathann'
Mierzejewski.  Why is it Rich didn't flame you for this offense when he
replied?  He flamed me for using 29.976 in the same context, I even used one
more significant digit.  So quick to attack at the slightest opportunity, but
maybe you're not so perfect yourself.

> No. By not doing your homework you show disrespect for our time and effort
> we put into MPlayer. Had you sent your submission according to the rules,
> we wouldn't have wasted our time pointing out the obvious problems.

What rules did I break and where were they written?