[MPlayer-dev-eng] Released Aud-X codec DLL

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Mar 13 18:41:00 CET 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:10:59PM +0100, Marek Dziubinski Aud-X wrote:

> So embedding our DS decoder, could enhance your player, not just by
> another audio format, but also by these useful algorithms.

I've stayed out of the discussion so far, but I'll have to add my two
cents now.

When I first read your announcement I just thought "Oh no, not another
proprietary audio codec.." and it seems that's just what it is.  If your
format turns out to be successful then we will support it through DLL

But please understand that proprietary formats are not something that
we value.  It's just one more roadblock for free and open multimedia
and one more format that we need to reverse engineer.

Please consider converting Aud-X into an open standard and release a
specification.  You could also dual-license your implementation under
the GPL and some default proprietary license.  Thus it can be used by
free software, but if somebody wants to integrate it into their
proprietary software they have to license it from you.

Diego