[MPlayer-dev-eng] Released Aud-X codec DLL

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 11:59:46 CET 2006

Hi,

On 3/12/06, Marek Dziubinski Aud-X <marek.dziubinski at aud-x.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I represent Aud-X Team - group of enthusiasts
> who released the new free 5.1 sound (surround) coding technology.
>
> Basically, Aud-X is mp3 backwards compatible and allows for highg quality
> 5.1 sound with 128 kbps.
>
> It is CBR, thus AVI compatible. Also, we have
> release an improved edition of VirtualDubMod to encode movies with Aud-X,
> executable frotnend for transcoding, and DirectShow filter for decoding
> (to learn more, please visit. www.aud-x.com,
> or www.videohelp.com, or www.doom9.org or
> www.hydrogenaudio.org to find relevant info)
>
> ---------------------
>
> We have released DLLs with our codec for third party developers.
>
> Our users suggested that it would be great to incorporate Aud-X in MPlayer,
> so here I come...
>
> Would you consider embedding it in MPlayer?
> To whom should I send the DLLs (with info on how to use'em)

Usually, DLL support is added when there's no other possibility to do
without it. In other words: whenever no open source decoder is
available. In your case, it seems like you are the authors of this
codec, therefore you must have the source. So IMHO, you should make
your sources available (at least the decoder part). This would have
the nice benefit of making it possible to add support on all platforms
and cpus MPlayer supports, like Alpha, PPC, MIPS, POWER, etc...

Do you think this could be possible?

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar Döffinger