[MPlayer-dev-eng] old CVS repositories

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Mar 5 23:54:32 CET 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:28:47PM +0100, Roberto Togni wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:34:05 +0100
> Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
>
> > I'm converting the old CVS repositories to Subversion one by one.  I
> > have already converted homepage, uha, vesautils, mndiff, nut, homepage
> > and today skins.  Still missing are mplayerosx (should be finished this
> > week), ffmpeg and main.
> >
> > There are a few old CVS modules where we need to decide if they are
> > worth converting, namely
> >
> >   0_90
>
> iirc main was forked from it (or the opposite), so all the history
> before the fork is the same.

Arpi copied the repository.

> creating a branch for 0_90 and following (0_91, the others are just
> security fixes) would be good but sounds like a lot of manual work.

Yes, ideally there would be a branch for that.  I'll see how much work
it is and decide.

> >   g2
>
> no idea, is it the same source as the snapshots or something
> older/newer? for sure it's not developed anymore

I'm not sure, because the snapshots Arpi made are not the same thing as
what Alex added to CVS.  I think g2 from CVS is Alex' fork.

> >   installer
>
> never heard about it being used

I think it is just an experiment made by Arpi.  Probably it's not worth
converting this.

> >   obsolete
>
> the name says it all, but there are some interesting things in it. How
> did those dirs ended up in obsolete? repository tricks or they were
> removed with cvs remove so they are also in attic with correct history?

I'm not sure, maybe some of the things removed from main were added
there.

> >   test
>
> test

So I will cat > /dev/null.

> So my idea is:
> - do not convert dead modules, if needed provide a read-only cvs server
> for them, else forget about them. convert them automatically (no need
> to hand-edit them to fix conversion) if read-only cvs is too much work
> to setup. as an alternative we could provide a snapshot of current
> version and a tarball of cvs repository for each of them

I definitely will not set up a CVS server on mphq2.  So it's either
Subversion or nothing.

> - sadly, i'd include g2 in the dead branches
>
> - personally i'd forget about 0_90 and convert only main

I'll see what I can do about the branching idea, but not invest too much
time.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

Diego