[MPlayer-dev-eng] mp4, vfr and timestamps

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Thu Jun 15 16:39:26 CEST 2006

Luca Barbato wrote:
> VFR sound strange to me, are you sure it is a good idea?

Yes, the only option for me. I'm doing 'fraps for linux' and games don't
run at a constant framerate.
I could sleep in glXSwapBuffers and wait to capture at a constant
framerate, but that would limit the game to whatever framerate I'm
capturing at (that's what fraps does) and it would not replay the video
as the game intended the frames to be displayed (the game calls
glXSwapBuffers at time X, but I sleep and assign a timestamp X+Y to the
frame).

> People living in the windows world can use vlc, mplayer or stand alone
> mkv demuxers.

Sure, I also could write my own video player.. but it's easier for me to
save the video in a format so that as many people as possible can replay
it. And I think you agree with me that more people have quicktime than
an matroska demuxer installed.

> We don't get any for of payment for coding mplayer so we start with the
> stuff we like more. It's our free time, we are glad people likes our
> stuff but demanding isn't the best way to ask a favour. Anyway maybe is
> just a bug of an untested feature ^^;

I'm not demanding anything.. I'm just informing you that mplayer won't
play my files correctly and I'm offering you samples so you can test it
and see yourselves.

But nobody replied to my first email.. I'm a programmer, so maybe I
would be able to fix it myself, but I initially didn't even get a
pointer where to look for the mp4 demuxer. I'm sorry to have to say
that, but I had the feeling that you didn't even want to have it fixed.

tom