[MPlayer-dev-eng] Where is the CVS

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Mon Jun 5 16:30:09 CEST 2006

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 05:23:01 -0500, Arias Hung <arias at m-a-g.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jun 2006, Jan Knutar delivered in simple text monotype:
>
>> CVS is being phased out in favour of svn. Until then:
>> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/~rtogni/snapshots
> <---snip--->
>
> It would be nice if this link had snapshots, or if even one of the svn
> commandline examples in the README at that path actually does what it
> implies even if for just one of the two (mplayer,ffmpeg) svn checkouts
> so I wouldn't have this sinking feeling that mplayer's new closed source
> state is an omen confirming that since it can't be checked out, that not
> only has no one been working on it, but also that no one even cares
> enough to give a damn.

What does svn have to do with closed source?  SVN is revision control
software, same general goal as cvs, just a different way of doing it.

> There is a rather diehard, grassroots mplayer userbase that made the
> regular cvs -dPA inside
> /opt/cvs/repository/mplayer a sort of quasi personal religious ritual
> based  on a long since taken
>  for granted assumption that access to cvs source was an inalienable
> right and are now experiencing a victim
> psychosis similar to that of having been raped repeatedly.

So now instead they will do "svn update" inside their mplayer sources
directory.

> Does anyone have a fairly recent, and demonstrated to be able to
> compile, source snapshot that they would
> care to share with those of us experiencing the aunguish and victimized
> depths of such pathological tragedy?

I just did the following on my system and it worked fine (note that I have
all the build prerequisites already on my machine from prior mplayer
builds):

svn co svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
cd mplayer
./configure
make
make install