[MPlayer-dev-eng] patch for vol level

Imran Syed freakabcd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 14:32:14 CEST 2006

Hello,

On 7/30/06, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 17:52 +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > > This patch restores back the volume to its previous level before
> quitting
> > > mplayer when the vol was muted.
>
> > While I do understand why someone may find this new behavior nice, I
> > don't personally expect any sound application to behave as such.
> > Sorry, but don't think I'll apply your patch.
>
> I think global volume should not be left muted after exiting. However it
> is not quite as easy to do correctly as this patch.
>
> MPlayer may exit the main loop after all audio has been fed to the ao
> but not been played. audio_out->uninit() is then called with a flag that
> tells the ao to finish playing current audio and then do the uninit. So
> unmute cannot be done before audio_out->uninit() because uninit() may
> still be used to play more audio. Unmute shouldn't be done after
> uninit() either because mute depends on ao functions. Proper
> implementation would require changing the ao functions.

and here, I thought my message was lost! :)

Anyway, I only did that as per the suggestion of someone in #mplayer-dev
just before I sent in that patch. I sure was not hoping to get that patch
committed, as I didn't know if it covered all cases and worst of all I
didn't know at which point exactly the volume should be unmuted/set back. As
Uoti says, I also believe global volume should not be left muted on exit.

Maybe some other devel who is more familiar with the code can come up with a
patch for this, or maybe give me suggestions as I'm very unfamiliar with the
MPlayer code base.

-- Imran

ps: One thing I've wanted to know: Are there any design documents for
MPlayer?