[MPlayer-dev-eng] dwStart (stream delay in AVI files)

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Tue Jan 31 19:46:25 CET 2006

> I'm not sure if I've found one in the wild; it could be that some files
> which I thought were very poorly-encoded actually used dwStart and I
> didn't know it. Anyway, you can create such a file with the command at
> the top of this email, or get mine from here:

I believe I may have run into, and still have, several files that are of
this nature.  It looks to me as though dwStart may frequently be used by
some fansubbing groups to push the audio ahead so that they can insent a
minute or two of translation notes before the video.

mplayer doesn't handle this at all well, while windows media player does.

--
robh