[MPlayer-dev-eng] Are you NUTs?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Jan 13 20:18:15 CET 2006

Hi

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 11:04:51PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> First I would like to excuse me if I miss something, but this thread
> is too big to loose my time reading it as whole.
> Second, some may think that this is a flame but I assure you it is not.
>
> So now in short. This syncpoint stuff is madness and must be removed.

syncpoints itself are needed as some start point for decoding, so i assume
you mean the complicated pts and back ptr stuff here

> As I said in irc, you are workaround an problems you had created while
> trading off for smaller overhead.
>
> There is no need for syncpoints in the stream. The nut is designed
> that it could work and seek without index, but there is no need to be
> precise if there is not such. In fact syncpoints form an distributed
> It is much more simple to have that trade off:
>
>  no index, imprecise seeking
>  index, precise seeking.

personally iam not strongly opposed to this, but i doubt you will convince
rich
you also must keep in mind that precisse seeking isnt the same as optimal
seeking, optimal seeking is something even more strict which rich wants
its advantages are somewhat questionable
for simple exact seeking the only thing you need is a single pts and back
ptr per syncpoint the additional complexity here is negligible IMHO
now if you start to add lots of rules things become tricky
rich wants that no matter how large the keyframe interval on a single
stream is, it should be possible to seek quickly and precissely to
any keyframe of any other stream, for that you need multiple back ptrs
per syncpoint
IIRC still things are not terribly complicated, the real mess starts
when you want some gurantee that you can find the rightmost keyframe
which is prior to a user supplied timestamp in O(1) instead of finding
it or a slightly earlier one in O(1) / finding the rightmost in O(keyint)

[...]
--
Michael