[MPlayer-dev-eng] Are you NUTs?

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:04:51 CET 2006

First I would like to excuse me if I miss something, but this thread
is too big to loose my time reading it as whole.
Second, some may think that this is a flame but I assure you it is not.

So now in short. This syncpoint stuff is madness and must be removed.

As I said in irc, you are workaround an problems you had created while
trading off for smaller overhead.

There is no need for syncpoints in the stream. The nut is designed
that it could work and seek without index, but there is no need to be
precise if there is not such. In fact syncpoints form an distributed
It is much more simple to have that trade off:

 no index, imprecise seeking
 index, precise seeking.

The format of index that allows this is the problem where you can use
all ideas discussed so far. Somehow I think this simplifies the task
(a lot).

KISS

P.S.
I will surely ignore Rich's comments, so Rich don't loose your time
writing them..