[MPlayer-dev-eng] [POLICY] clarify conditions for functionality removal

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:25:09 CET 2006

2006/2/9, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> The CPU speed detection code does not fit any of those categories, since
>
> a) It was little code in a part that does not need (much) maintenance.
> b) It was buggy for some people, but not completely.
> c) It was used on every MPlayer run, though with doubtful utility.
> d) There was no need for maintenance.
>
> Yet it was removed nonetheless (and no, let us _please_ not restart the
> discussion about whether this was right or wrong).

Well, you really proved to me that cpu speed should have never been removed.

1. Your change is not clarification, it is rule removal.
2. Your new code is based on previous precedents.
3. The only previous precedent is cpu speed removal made by you.
4. Based on this precedent I can say that each future feature removal
would cause great flamewar in the maillist.

So I am restoring cpu speed detection and this time it could be
optionally disabled, so there is no reason for it to be removed.