[MPlayer-dev-eng] altivec patch 1/5: missing vec_splat in vec_clip

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Feb 9 09:02:15 CET 2006

Alan Curry wrote:

> OK, vec_clip takes a vector argument, so typeof() that argument gets us
> "vector signed short". We need to somehow extract just the "short" part for
> use inside the AVV_SPLAT macro. How?

__ch(a,b,c)

> Also, the __builtin_* functions aren't very stable between gcc versions.
> 3.3 has __altivec_link_error_invalid_argument()
> 3.4 has __builtin_altivec_compiletime_error("func_name")

you could change it with a sure runtime error not builtin.

Looks like this hack is getting uglier and uglier, please measure how
much we lose using load&splat and better think if it is worth the time
or not. If is too much I'll just expand vec_clip (ab)using a bit more
macro expansion.

lu