[MPlayer-dev-eng] [POLICY] clarify conditions for functionality removal

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 02:08:55 CET 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:44:55PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>
>> 2006/2/8, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:

>>> Ivan, you are evading my main argument and the point why I made
>>> the patch/commit in the first place: That I was just putting
>>> *current practice* into writing.  You haven't addressed this
>>> point at all..
>>
>> I did. And I said that this is not the current practice.
>
> It *is* current practice.  No rules are set in stone.  Things are
> discussed on dev-eng until a consensus is reached.

I'd just like to note that that is not what the current form says, nor
is it what the old form said about "changing behaviour". No mention is
made of "consensus"; all it says is that discussion must take place, not
that the discussion must reach any particular conclusion first. Saying
"discussing it on the mplayer-dev-eng mailing list and receiving some
form of consensus approval" would avoid the problem.

> And don't simply revert a commit that is obviously under
> controversial dispute without even waiting _a few hours_ for me to
> answer your last email.  This is beyond rude.

Agreed, it is. It is also precisely the sort of behaviour which would be
'allowed', with respect to feature removal, under the current phrasing
of the rule under discussion. After all, discussion of his proposed
change (reverting your change) has taken place...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.