[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio output driver priority

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Feb 2 16:22:45 CET 2006

Hi,
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:10:35PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Given that OSS is slowly going the way of the Dodo and that most people
> probably use the OSS emulation of ALSA if they do use the oss audio
> output driver, shouldn't ALSA be preferred over OSS?  IIRC the ao_alsa

No, not currently. It is very broken, not to mention all the issues that
people have had with ALSA in the past (probably many caused by wrong
configuration on their part, and even more fixed forever from ALSA side,
but still).
Probably isn't relevant in this case, but also also depends on a
library, OSS doesn't.
And, I would guess that some optimization of the audio path would make a
much bigger speed difference that ALSA vs. OSS. Though audio speed in
most cases isn't much of an issue anyway...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger