[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio output driver priority

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:49:43 CET 2006

2006/2/1, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking over Christian Marillat's packages again and noticed
> that he sets alsa as the preferred audio output driver.  This made me
> think that it may be time to revisit the audio output driver priority.
>
> Given that OSS is slowly going the way of the Dodo and that most people
> probably use the OSS emulation of ALSA if they do use the oss audio
> output driver, shouldn't ALSA be preferred over OSS?  IIRC the ao_alsa
> is slightly faster than ao_oss and on systems that lack ALSA, we would
> fall back on ao_oss or not even have ao_alsa compiled in..
>
> Thoughts?  Comments?

We can do that a month after this new code is committed.
We should never prefer just committed experimental driver especially
if that driver used to have many know issues for quite long time.
We can prefer driver that we have used for some time and there are no
know issues.

As for now I don't see reason to switch away from oss.

If we want to ensure that alsa driver will be handled by right person,
then we can give developer access to Clemens Ladisch (the alsa
developer). 5 committed patches are good enough reason. ;)